The Historian’s Ministry presents our church history…
Historical Milestones of Macedonia Baptist Church
Church History From 1893 – 2017
On July 3, 1893 under the pastorate of R. B. Williams, Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church was organized as a little mission located in Murray’s Alley with a membership of ten. After worshipping for a time at a Poplar Street location, the church moved to Sixth Street, formerly Plummer’s Alley where the membership erected a wooden structure as its first church edifice. The first Board of Deacons ordained included brothers Peter Gibson (Chairman), Bird Lyons, Cornelius Milner and Peter Walker. The first page to the long book of The Macedonia Church history.
By 1901 the membership had grown to 200 people making it necessary for the church to relocate again. Moving to 164 Hazel Street, the church erected a huge rock structure. Those persons licensed and/or ordained into the ministry were ministers Lewis B. Battle, Edward Davis, J. W. Ward, J. H. Wimberly, C. H. Frederick, Bryant and James Lee Dudley. Pastor R. B. Williams passed on November 26, 1916 and was interred at St. Rest Cemetery on Thanksgiving Day. The church called J. H. Evans to the pastorate in 1917 and he served untiringly for 10 years. It was during this time in the church history the following were named to the Board of Deacons: Wilbur Butler, W. J. Williams, John Herrington, Isreal Young, Willie Carner, Wiley Durham, Sr., Edmond Randall, J. C. Boykins, R. L. Foster, Johnny McGuire, Jim Williams, Dave Jackson, Joe Dunn, Joe Page, Henry Phenizee and Butler Reliford. Minister W. R. Underwood was licensed to preach during this time and in 1927 he served as the acting Pastor until the church called Pastor T. T. Gholston.
Pastor R. H. Williams succeeded Pastor Gholston and served for a brief period until he resigned in 1932 at which time the church called Pastor E. J. Calhoun. Under Pastor Calhoun’s pastorate the church building at 164 Hazel Street was severely damaged in a storm and was subsequently torn down. Late in 1938 the church successfully completed construction and moved into a new edifice. During this time J. W. Ward and Lewis Moore were ordained as ministers. Deacons added were Lige Lowe, James Ivey, Wilburn Henderson, Hezekial Howell, Jim Russell, Otis Pryor and Jerry Adkins. Pastor Calhoun passed on September 2, 1947 and was funeralized at the Macon City Auditorium with thousands in attendance.
Minister M. C. Knowles served as acting pastor until the church called Minister Ellis S. Evans on February 17, 1948. A vital part of church history was from 1948 to 1970 Pastor Evans’ ministry to the church resulted in a tremendous growth in membership. Ministers licensed and/or ordained under his pastorate were: E. G. Picket, W. C. Alexander, A. R. Wright, and H. Rawls. Deacons added were: Curtis Beard, Ray Bradley, Rufus Clark, David Gibbs, John H. Ford, Johnny Miller, Willie Moreland, James Sherman, George Wilcher, W. C. Alexander, Horace Ashley, Alfred Collins, Clarence Davis, Cullin Flowers, Willie Harris, Elijah Hill, Sam Isom, Joshua Jackson, Jack Lamar, Thomas Marshall and Albert Wood It again became necessary to relocate the church due to its numerical growth. Pastor Evans led the church in the purchase of a four-acre plot on Anthony Road, which had been the site of the old Wheatley School. In December 1970 after 22 years of leadership Pastor Evans resigned leaving the church spiritually and financially sound.
From December 1970 to August 1972 the church was without a pastor. During this time the church led, by Deacons George Wilcher, Willie Moreland, John Ford, James Sherman and Hezekiah Howell secured a loan and financed the construction of the Anthony Road Sanctuary. The Macedonia family marched into that facility on June 18, 1972 with four members of the original church in attendance. They were Sisters Anne B. Walker, Carrie Clayborne, Ellen Butler and Mae Lizzie Moreland.
In the summer of 1972 Macedonia was in need of pastoral leadership, the church extended the pastoral invitation to Eddie D. Smith, Sr., a teacher and media specialist with the Bibb County Board of Education. After giving up his teaching career, Pastor Smith on August 6, 1972 preaching from the subject “I Am Sent Me” accepted the full-time pastorate of Macedonia Baptist Church. Pastor Smith is truly the man sent by God to Macedonia. His pastorate to date has been the trademark of one anointed. Pastor Smith teaches and preaches the gospel of peace and brings glad tidings of great things.
Pastor has endured affliction, ridicule and persecution; not with a spirit of fear but with power, love and sound mind, making full proof of his ministry to God, the church and the community. The biblical eloquence and truth of his sermons has captivated and affected the daily lives of not only the members of Macedonia but the thousands who see and hear him weekly over our television, radio, and online broadcasts.
It is now apparent that God’s Will is for Pastor Smith to continue to lead Macedonia. The Prayers and Vision of Pastor Smith have enabled Macedonia to provide a vast number of ministries, activities and opportunities for the congregation and community. #TheMacedoniaExperience